Tuesday, February 12, 2008

Trying for a local blanket

So I wanted to purchase my cousin-in-law (originally from Hingham, with deep roots in the Ocean State) a local, warm blanket.  In a recent copy of Edible Rhody (don't ask why), I found an add for Rhody Warm Blankets.  Aha! 

So I called up the RI Resource Conservation & Development Council.  I think I got a personal home.  When inquiring about the blanket, her voice lit up.

I asked, "is this a Rhode Island product?"
She replied, "Well..."  a-ha!
She went on, "See the wool is all 100% RI and from sheep raised organically.  But because there's nobody in the northeast that scours wool.  So we send it to Minnesota.  Then, we have it shipped to Western Massachusetts. There, the wool goes through a loom.  Then, the workable wool comes back to Rhode Island and is made into a blanket."
"Hmm...  Is that really local? I guess so."
"Sir, we the best we can and oh, we're sold out. Do you want to order one for next season?"
"Uhhh, ok."

What do you think?  Local?


No comments: