Sunday, February 24, 2008

have hoof will travel

So I need about a 1/2 dozen pig's feet in April.  Not smoked, not cured, not jellied - just raw pig's feet.  This is something you can easily find in Chinatown, but it's probably from a factory farm in Iowa or, perhaps even China.  We bought Duck eggs a year ago in Chinatown.  And after coming home saw the "product of China" label.

But thanks to Steven, I found Stephanie at Veritas Farm.  She's a short 2 hours from us and had heritage, humanely raised, pig's feet (frozen, of course).  "Um, yeah I have them but why would you want them?"

"Well, I need them for xue riezi."

"Ah, okay, Anu."

Well, nevermind, we made an agreement for the feet.  Now, I don't have a car.  Stephanie doesn't deliver to New York City.  Thank goodness for farmer's markets.  Our favorite farmer, Ray Bradley, happens to be a good friend and neighbor to Stephanie.  

Now, he'll bring the feet down to Grand Army Plaza.  And I'll pick them up.  How's that for low-carbon footprint.

more on the feet in recipes this April.


No comments: