- Don’t make this with fountain ginger ale. Schweppes is pretty meager in flavor, bubbly, but heavy in texture, leaving you a drink with more viscosity and less taste.
- A smaller drink is better. Filling the glass with soda results in watery drink. If you’re a fast drinker (like me), then this is difficult.
- Fresh lime is best. No lime is better than lime syrup. I didn’t try bottled lime juice but think that’s probably ok, but lime syrup was bad.
If you’re planning to make a large amount, consider making your own ginger beer. It’s not hard to do and requires one day planning.
My recipe produces a balanced but not strong drink. I like to serve in a footed pilsener glass with significant ice.
- 1 ½ ounces OLD MONK rum
- 1 ounce Morris Kitchen's Ginger Syrup
- ½ ounce fresh lime juice
- 4 ounces fresh seltzer
- 1 slice lime
- Mix rum, syrup, lime juice in a glass.
- Stir vigorously.
- Add ice to fill glass.
- Add 4 ounces seltzer.
- Coat the rim of glass with fresh lime.