To make an authentic Mai Tai, you need to make falernum and orgeat (pronounced or-ZHAT). Neither is particular difficult to make, but I found that orgeat doesn't keep well (maybe one week in the fridge), so that means you need to make many drinks, in a hurry.
My final recipe:
2 part white rum
1 part Lemon Hart overproof rum (or other Demerera rum)
1 part orgeat
1 part falernum
1/2 part lime juice
1 Luxardo cherry
- Smash ice in a lewis bag or crush ice somehow. You really want small, small pieces but not a slushy. Fill Collins glass with smashed ice.
- Add ice cubs and all ingredients except cherry and Lemon Hart to a cocktail shaker.
- Secure shaker top and shake vigorously for 20 seconds.
- Open and strain into Collins glass.
- Pour in Lemon Hart slowly.
- Float cherry on top of ice
- Provide a straw to stir and drink through