Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Day One

Okay, so when I signed up for the local challenge I didn't really contemplate that there would be sacrifices in eating local. I signed up because I thought it would be easy enough to do. My two exemptions are bread and cereal, because my understanding is even the ingredients must be local. Thus even if I buy fresh baked bread, unless the flour is locally made, I'm out of luck. Therefore, chocolate is out for a month. Yesterday I went to Lucca, my favorite sandwich shop, on Chestnut Avenue in San Francisco. The problem, however, is that it carries imports. Fortunately, the turkey and cheese are locally produced in Sonora. The hummus was made at the shop, but the chickpeas were imported so I had to pass. I am sure that I will commit a number of violations as I attempt to eat locally. For example, I doubt the scone that I snack on today at Starbucks was made locally, and of course the Cotswald cheese left in my fridge from last week that I had with my eggs today is made in England. More or less, I ate locally today with corn, ravioli with artichokes, and a turkey sandwich.

1 comment:

bluginger said...

in the great city by the bay, you're eating scones at Starbucks? Starbucks