Tuesday, February 15, 2011

January Cocktail - The Old Fashioned


The Old Fashioned may be the oldest cocktail. There are dozens of recipes, typically the drink calls for:
  1. whiskey
  2. sugar
  3. bitters
  4. citrus twist
I made the Old Fashioned about 15 times in January. At the end of the month, I came to a few preferences:
  • Rye over Bourbon - less sweet
  • Grapefruit bitters over orange - less sweet
  • Angostura bitters are important but in small amounts
So my "official" Old Fashioned is simple to make, but takes some time (perfect for finishing touches on dinner).

Ingredients:
  1. 1 1/2 oz. Rye (I used Old Overholt)
  2. 1 demerra sugar cube
  3. 1 strip orange peel (no white part, orange variety didn't matter)
  4. 1 dash Angostura bitters
  5. 3 dashes grapefruit bitters (I used The Bitter Truth)
Recipe:
  1. Add sugar cube, orange peel, bitters to glass
  2. Mash significantly
  3. Add rye.
  4. Leave alone for 3-5 minutes (allows for the sugar to dissolve)
  5. Stir
  6. Add ice
I often left the ice to melt for a few minutes and found the diluted water improved the drink a bit.

1 comment:

Indiewala said...

I understand you prefer rye over whiskey. What about using bourbon?